Equine Therapy

For certification you must be a licensed mental health practitioner (Social worker, family/marriage counselor, addiction counselor, psychologist, etc.)
Certification Board for Equine Interaction Professionals
EAGALA- Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association

For certification you must be an OT/OTA, PT/PTA, SLP
American Hippotherapy Association
Hippotherapy Certification Board


Burton, L. E., Qeadan, F., & Burge, M. R. (2019). Efficacy of equine-assisted psychotherapy in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of Integrative Medicine, 17(1), 14–19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joim.2018.11.001

Hallberg, L. (2018). The Clinical Practice of Equine-Assisted Therapy. New York: Routledge.

Hamilton, M. R., Delaney, E., & Hall, K. (2018). We’re Not Just Horsing Around: Creating Innovative Community Clinical Experiences Utilizing Diverse Opportunities. Nursing Education Perspectives, 39(2), 123–125. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000164

Hoagwood, K. E., Acri, M., Morrissey, M., & Peth-Pierce, R. (2017). Animal-assisted therapies for youth with or at risk for mental health problems: A systematic review. Applied Developmental Science, 21(1), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1080/10888691.2015.1134267

Johansen, S. G., Arfwedson Wang, C. E., & Binder, P. E. (2016). Facilitating change in a client’s dysfunctional behavioural pattern with horse-aided psychotherapy. A case study. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 16(3), 222–231. https://doi.org/10.1002/capr.12078

Kendall, E., Maujean, A., Pepping, C. A., Downes, M., Lakhani, A., Byrne, J., & Macfarlane, K. (2015). A systematic review of the efficacy of equine-assisted interventions on psychological outcomes. European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling, 17(1), 57–79. https://doi.org/10.1080/13642537.2014.996169

Kern-Godal, A., Arnevik, E. A., Walderhaug, E., & Ravndal, E. (2015). Substance use disorder treatment retention and completion: a prospective study of horse-assisted therapy (HAT) for young adults. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 10(1), 21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13722-015-0043-4

Kern-Godal, A., Brenna, I. H., Arnevik, E. A., & Ravndal, E. (2016). More than Just a Break from Treatment: How Substance Use Disorder Patients Experience the Stable Environment in Horse-Assisted Therapy. Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment, 10, SART.S40475. https://doi.org/10.4137/SART.S40475

Lee, K., Dabelko-Schoeny, H., Jedlicka, H., & Burns, T. (2019). Older Adults’ Perceived Benefits of Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy: Implications for Social Work. Research on Social Work Practice, 104973151989039. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049731519890399

Lee, P.-T., & Makela, C. (2018). Mental health practitioners’ strategies in equine-assisted psychotherapy: implications for social work. Social Work Education, 37(1), 119–135. https://doi.org/10.1080/02615479.2017.1378318

Lentini, J. A., & Knox, M. S. (2015). Equine-Facilitated Psychotherapy With Children and Adolescents: An Update and Literature Review. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 10(3), 278–305. https://doi.org/10.1080/15401383.2015.1023916

McNamara, J. (2017). Equine Facilitated Therapy for Children and Adolescents: A Qualitative Pilot Study. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 12(4), 412–427. https://doi.org/10.1080/15401383.2017.1340215

Mueller, M. K., & McCullough, L. (2017). Effects of Equine-Facilitated Psychotherapy on Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms in Youth. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26(4), 1164–1172. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-016-0648-6

Naste, T. M., Price, M., Karol, J., Martin, L., Murphy, K., Miguel, J., & Spinazzola, J. (2018). Equine Facilitated Therapy for Complex Trauma (EFT-CT). Journal of Child & Adolescent Trauma, 11(3), 289–303. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40653-017-0187-3

Robinson-Edwards, S., Kewley, S., Riley, L., & Fisher, D. (2019). Examining prisoner experience of an equine assisted psychotherapy. Therapeutic Communities: The International Journal of Therapeutic Communities, 40(3/4), 111–124. https://doi.org/10.1108/TC-01-2019-0001

Schroeder, K., Stroud, D., & Erdman, P. (2018). Leading Equine-Assisted Mental Health Groups: An Exploratory Survey of Practitioner Characteristics, Practices, and Professional Development. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 68(2), 204–214. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207284.2017.1417737

Shelef, A., Brafman, D., Rosing, T., Weizman, A., Stryjer, R., & Barak, Y. (2019). Equine Assisted Therapy for Patients with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Series Study. Military Medicine, 184(9–10), 394–399. https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usz036

Symington, A. (2012). Grief and Horses: Putting the Pieces Together. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 7(2), 165–174. https://doi.org/10.1080/15401383.2012.685017

Wang, G., Ma, R., Qiao, G., Wada, K., Aizawa, Y., & Satoh, T. (2015). The Effect of Riding as an Alternative Treatment for Children with Cerebral Palsy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Integrative Medicine International, 1(4), 211–222. https://doi.org/10.1159/000368408

Wharton, T., Whitworth, J., Macauley, E., & Malone, M. (2019). Pilot testing a manualized equine-facilitated cognitive processing therapy (EF-CPT) intervention for PTSD in veterans. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal. https://doi.org/10.1037/prj0000359

White-Lewis, S., Russell, C., Johnson, R., Cheng, A. L., & McClain, N. (2017). Equine-assisted therapy intervention studies targeting physical symptoms in adults: A systematic review. Applied Nursing Research, 38, 9–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2017.08.002